Thursday, October 2, 2008

antique shopping with Ann

Last weekend I went with my cousin Ann to an antique show. Ann and I both share a love of antiques, heirlooms, ancient oddities, and vintage paraphernalia (I'm pretty sure we were born in the wrong era). And while we both love all things old, Ann has a special affinity towards chairs, kitchen utensils, and dishes. I, on the other hand, am obsessed with old books and paintings. Of course we often meet in the middle: jewelry, vintage aprons, linens, quilts, and other unique items all get special attention from us both (you can never go wrong with pink, roses or Victorian). It's fun to see her unique style, and I'm sure she gets a kick out of seeing my excitement over different things. Ann would mortgage her home just to buy antique furniture, and that is what I love about her - she's passionate!
After the antique show Ann took me to one of her favorite antique shops in downtown Salt Lake City (just off 900 South) called Moriarty's. I loved their dollar tables and was pretty impressed with their overall selection and prices. I bought some books, sheet music, and even a beautiful art print of a ballerina for only $1! Ann and I also made a D.I. run to buy some books, and by the end of the day I was pretty tired from all the shopping. I was almost home, when I decided to make one last stop at one of our local stores, Nook and Cranny. And would you believe it? There, sitting out in the yard just waiting for me, was this darling shelf! I had been looking for a piece like this for my nursery for quite some time, and now I had finally found it. The shelf was a little over-priced, but because of Ann I had the confidence to barter for a better deal (I got it for almost half off)! I also found these darling chairs for $15 a piece, and while I'm pretty sure that neither the shelf or the chairs are antiques, they are still old and unusual pieces of furniture. That is part of the reason why I love antique items so much - not only are they beautiful and nostalgic, but they were made to last. Happy shopping!

8 comments:

Adele said...

Yeay for shopping gems :) I can do house shopping. But I tend to burst into tears when clothes shopping. It's a very traumatic experience. *sigh*

Mel said...

I love that shelf!! That is a great piece!! So fun, I want to go sometime with you all. I love the chair too!

Ann Marie said...

I love the shelf!! If it isn't way old, it's at least vintage.
Soo darling!
I almost called you today.. Funny how when you don't see posts or comments, you tend to think something is wrong.

Soo true about or styles shopping!
Too funny! Love you!

{Mo} said...

Darling, Darling, Darling shelf! Isn't shopping with Ann the best? I really am in need of a get away day, and shopping would be great! Congrats on the great finds :)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love all your finds! I can't decide which one I like best!

Suzanne said...

Megan,

I had to walk away and grab a paper towel to help with my drool problem over your shelf. It is so awesome and I LOVE it! So glad you found some wonderful finds!! Hey, you are invited to come tomorrow and if I don't see your rear at my house, you are in big trouble! -Suzanne

JENNIFRO said...

That shelf is one heckuva find! jealous....

Marie said...

What a beautiful shelf! I'll have to go antiquing with you some time because I also have a love of the old . . . I just don't have a love of shopping alone. :D