Sunday, June 22, 2008

Betty Crocker's Boys & Girls Cookbook 1965

At last! I have been hunting and searching and digging for this sweet little book for many years now, and this weekend all of my patience and hard work were rewarded when I spotted it on a kitchen hutch at a local antique store. Imagine the sheer joy of looking up and seeing it sitting there, just waiting for Miss Megan to take it home to use and treasure and love! This particular cookbook is very special to me because my mom had one just like it when she was a little girl. She allowed us to use her copy as my sisters and I grew up, and unfortunately we "loved" it a little too much. Most of the pages tore out, and eventually the spine came apart. I did purchase a new copy for my mother several years ago, but until now hadn't been able to find one for myself (and I didn't want to pay $40 on e-Bay). I'm so happy to now have a copy of my own!This cookbook is a great way to get kids interested in helping in the kitchen. It features lots of prep ideas, as well as pictures to show children how to identify kitchen basics. However, my favorite feature are the quotes from "real kids" about their special recipes and handy cooking tips. For example: "I made one [cupcake] for Dad's birthday. It was spice cake with golden caramel frosting and Dad said it was keen." -Peter. "Frosting the sides is tricky, so I just frost the top. When I get more practice, I'll do the sides, too." -Ricky. "Kneading dough is just like playing with clay - only you can bake dough into something that's good to eat." -Michael.
Darling! I love the vintage illustrations and photos, easy-to-follow recipes, and simple ingredients that are comprehensible for children and parents alike. I'm always on the lookout for great cookbooks and recipes, so please feel free to leave me your favorites too. I can't wait to share this special cookbook with my little cupcake, and watch him discover all the joys to be found in the kitchen. "After all the recipes were tested, we had a wonderful party." -Becky.

5 comments:

Cristy said...

I died laughing when I read "and Dad said it was keen." What a great book!

Ann Marie said...

Now how I am ever going to find a copy for me since you posted about it? LOL! Everyone is going to be looking for it, and I will never get to make a bunny rabbit with a cottage cheese tail! :(

Adele said...

Love it! My grandmother taught me to cook, and we used her Betty Crocker from about 100 years ago. It was so fun. I've got a great spice cake and cream cheese icing recipe. It's on my site under March, 'Secret Recipe.' I'm no longer allowed to do anything other than Spice Cake and Cream Cheese Icing for any birthday. That's how much people like it over here.

Marie said...

Oh, what a darling book!! I'm looking for a children's cookbook myself to start cooking with my budding chef. I had a couple when I was growing up (both currently on my shelf, but definitely loved to death). My favorite was my Care Bears cookbook with recipes for Sunshine Fizz and Rainbow kabobs.

Anonymous said...

My grandmother gave me this book when I was 10 years old (1965) I still use the chocolate chip cookie recipe to this day( since I memorized it). Since I no longer have the book (lost in moves) I am looking for it to give to my daughter, daughters-in-law and granddaughters. For a child, it is the best way to cook, all the steps are highlighted. As a teacher, I use the same blocking method as is in this book to share recipes when we use them in lessons. Thank you Betty Crocker.