Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Kissing the Face of God

Forget Greg Olsen or Simon Dewey. My favorite LDS artist is Morgan Weistling.

Weistling's medium is oil on canvas, and his pictures are sublime to say the least. I love that he does so many wonderful pioneer prints, and his attention to detail is absolutely incredible. His pictures have a warm feel to them, that invites you in, and makes you feel happy. I think my favorite thing about his work, however, is how real-to-life his faces are. Nothing ever looks cartoon-ish, fake, or saccharine. Although I love almost all of his prints, Kids and Roses, Lilies and Tea, and Walking With God are among my favorites. However, one particular painting holds a special place in my heart. The first time I saw Kissing the Face of God at a gallery up in Salt Lake, tears came to my eyes. Because of my reaction to it, my mom bought it on-the-spot, and it now hangs in the hallway of her condo. I love the tenderness Mary shows her baby in the work, and the sweet little face of the newborn Christ. To me, this painting is absolute perfection, and reminds me of the true meaning of the holidays.

For more of Weistling's work, please visit his website: www.morganweistling.com. Merry Christmas and happy viewing!

6 comments:

Marie said...

What a beautiful painting! I've never seen it before, but I absolutely love it!

Susan said...

I agree - a mostly excellent picture. I'll have to check out the website.

Suzanne said...

That has happened to me before. I was at Seagull book and tape and saw a picture of the Savior and sobbed. I called Brian right on the spot and told him I was purchasing the print.

That is a beautiful painting. Hopefully one day, you will have one to display in your own home! -Suzanne

Maria Sondule said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann Marie said...

I love the picture!
I'm a Greg Olson Fan, and don't care much for Simon Dewey. Things have to really get to me before I will buy it....

Unknown said...

I've always liked that one too.