Thursday, June 28, 2007

BBC does it again!

Movies from my library are only $1, which is still cheaper than the newly reduced rental prices at Blockbuster. Plus, they have more of a selection of older movies....So, I have been raiding the shelves looking for the next great movie to add to my list of favorites. Enter: BBC's "Wives and Daughters". It's another costume drama about women and the men that they love. (It is important for me to mention as a side note that nothing will ever compare to "Pride and Prejudice" so please lower your standards just a little bit girls)!

The main character, Molly, is a beautiful sweet-tempered girl who is forced to make a place in her predictable yet satisfying life for her new stepmother. (I personally tend to like the bad girls myself, but even though Molly is uncomplicated and chaste, she still has depths to her which make for a compelling drama). Molly's stepmother is a little on the overbearing side (think Mrs. Bennett), and things get even more interesting when Molly's beautiful and willful stepsister, Cynthia comes to town. Cynthia is played by the fabulous Keeley Hawes (BBC's MI-5), who loves Molly, yet unwittingly steals her man! With a few twists and turns even I couldn't predict, "Wives and Daughters" was a wonderful romance set in beautiful England. The movie also turns out another great performance from Michael Gambon (Dumbledore from the Harry Potter movies). "I'm not saying she was very silly, but one of us was silly, and it wasn't me." BBC does it again!

*Spoiler: The ONLY complaint that I had with this movie was that I waited 4 hours, and there is NO KISS at the end.

1 comment:

Marie said...

My mom, who is also a huge fan of all things BBC, also gives this movie a high recommendation. I gotta see it.